Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Edmodo

Many schools in my area are using Edmodo for various classroom projects so I decided to explore the tool further.  I found a short video clip here that highlights some of the possibilities of Edmodo.
I chose to create a group for my after school science club as a way to share additional information with both the students and parents.  Social skills are also an important aspect of my club and I hope this will be a way to encourage dialogue between the students.  As I just put the pages together in the last week, I have not had a chance to see how effective the resource is for my purposes, but I can see it being immensely beneficial in the classroom.

The ability to quickly and securely post information, create discussions, share videos, and even grade assignments is wonderful.  I also like the ability to provide parents with a special code that provides them access to the website.  Parents can easily see the content being discussed in the classroom, due dates for assignments, grades, and other important messages. 
Students who are reluctant to answer questions in class may be more willing to communicate in an online environment or answer a poll question.  Videos can be posted for visual learners.  A wide variety of diverse learners can be supported using this resource. 
In exploring ways other educators are using Edmodo, I realized I have only skimmed the surface of what is possible with this amazing tool.  Here are 20 Ways to Use Edmodo including professional development!  
If you are new to Edmodo and want more information, I found a Symbaloo page dedicated to this resource.
Do you use Edmodo in the classroom?  Do you have any tips or any success stories?  I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Val,

    I played with Edmodo last summer. It is a wonderful tool. I didn't get very far because the majority of my students don't appear to have regular access to the internet, so I wouldn't have been able to utilize it the way I wanted. I guess I will try it again next year because I really do like it. Good luck to you,

    ~Hope~

    ReplyDelete