Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Nutrition Infographic


This project was very challenging for me.  The first obstacle I had to overcome was simply picking the topic!  I finally chose to do something with nutrition.  My Cub Scouts are working on their Fitness activity pin and are required to plan a menu for a week and keep track of the foods they actually eat for a week.  After our last meeting, I realized the boys understand they need some of each food group, but do not really understand what a "serving" actually is.  I hope to use this at my next meeting and have them analyze how many actual servings of each food group they ate. 
The second major obstacle I had to overcome with picking the tool to create the final project.  I looked around at many different tools and even started creating the project in several of them.  The final project I created in Microsoft Word.  It had all the graphics I needed in one place, and I was pleased with the final result.  The one issue I ran into was being able to save it as a picture without the image being distorted.  After a bit of researching, I used Zamzar.  You do not have to register, but you do have to provide an email address so this might not be a good resource for students.  However, if you are ever in need of a different file format that the one you have, this might be worth looking into!

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, I don't think I knew what a serving size was. This information is very easy to read, and the graphics at the bottom with typical food a young boy might eat really make a big impact with what/how much food each item really is. The only thing I am not 100% clear about is the translation with the pizza and hamburger - are they servings, ounces, or cups?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val-
    This is great infographic! You gave straightforward information in an easy to understand format-without being overwhelming.

    I also struggled with finding just the right tool and started my project a few times until I found the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val. I really like your infographic. It very visually stimulating and easy to understand. I'd like to pass it along to our PE teacher who teaches a unit on nutrition. It's such an important topic today considering the rate of obesity among children in this country. I also added zamzar to my delicious account. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you save it as a PDF in MS Word you can copy it from Acrobat with the selection tool and open it or copy and paste it into MS Paint. From there you can save it as a picture file. I also wanted to save mine as picture file so that I could use it in other places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well despite all the hardships it seems like you had to deal with, your project turned out quite well! I too was having issues using the programs, I went with one that felt very restricted, but all the other programs seemed like they offered wayyy too much freedom, and would've been too involving to attempt within the time limit we had. I'm glad you found such a relevant topic to create your infographic for!

    ReplyDelete